Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Forget Forsythia

Posted by sam_md z7 MD (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 11, 13 at 8:23

I took this pic today, this shrub grows happily next to a Victorian church in my state. Note the soft, primrose yellow flowers, so much nicer than the harsh, loud yellow of forsythia. The habit is refined with a delicate, fine texture in all seasons, another bonus is the yellow foliage in the fall. Forsythia OTOH has a sloppy, haphazard habit that causes owners to shear it into cubes and balls. This shrub will never invade roadbanks and forest edges. An entire garden was devoted to this genus at the Winterthur Gardens near Wilmington. Can you name it?
 photo 04-10-13002.jpg
 photo 04-10-13004.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Forget Forsythia

corylopsis or winter hazel, i think.
pretty!

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 11, 13 at 14:00

Yeah its Corylopsis pauciflora which I can't grow!

I believe this species has more flowers than Corylopsis spicata?

I was going to add a spicata because as you said the yellow is much more pleasing than Forsythia.

o

Says who ... ???

Are your eyes getting tired ... ???

This post was edited by aegis500 on Thu, Apr 11, 13 at 17:15

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 11, 13 at 22:56

No, they're just burning! lol

o

That's a very nice looking forsythia with nice long arching branches from the base. None in my neighborhood look so nice. The color is the same bright of daffodils, isn't it?
And that corylopsis is divine. I have to look it up.

o

Also much prefer the softer color of Corylopsis to that of Forsythia, although the color of the latter is not always close to school bus yellow.
Several photos are in my blog, which is non-commercial and always being pushed by me.
The one I tried to attach, here, exceeded the size allowed.

o

I've got lovely Forsythia blooming out in the back now.

The trouble is not the plant ... it's how people maintain them, as well as the BUSINESS of making money off of a product in our culture.

And because Forsythia is popular (i.e heavily marketed), you get a lot of folks that get it that have very rudimentary skills/desire to properly maintain the plant.

I see examples of this all around in my area with lilacs, arborvitae, forsythia, redbuds, roses, ... not to mention the mangling that I see all manner of trees subjected to ...

You probably get better cared for trees/shrubs which are harder to find, cost somewhat more, ... and are, thererfore, less common.

Your Corylopsis, and nice Witch Hazels, would definitely fall into this grouping.

o
Weedy Mess

This is what I'm seeing more & more of. Forsythia shown here makes copious amounts of seed. Long stretches of roadbank become a tangled mass. This is in a rural, agricultural area.
 photo 04-16-13001.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here