Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Green Tower Boxwood Winter Burn

Posted by Dexter24 10 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 8:32

After the worst winter ever (low temperatures, most snowfall, high winds), many of my green tower boxwoods look like this.

Do I need to prune the tops of these that have yellow foliage? I would like these shrubs to keep growing taller, that is why I am relunctant to prune the branches that are shooting straight up.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Green Tower Boxwood Winter Burn

can you tell me what the worst winter ever ... in z10 is??? ..

where are you?

is that wall south facing..

when was it planted ...

has it grown at all this spring ...

any frost or freeze??? [in z10?]

ken

o

the zone 10 thing was confusing me too. Im interested to hear more about the situation.

o

Zone 5 (Toledo, OH)
South facing wall.
Planted two years ago.
Has not grown this spring.
Temperatures still dip below freezing at night.

o

In zone 5, boxwood needs shade over the winter, or it burns out. If you leave the brown parts, they might releaf, or might not. You'll know in May.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here