Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andreaplants

Rose of Sharon from "cutting"

andreaplants
11 years ago

Hello! We have a rose of sharon woody branch cutting growing in a vase of water, and the leaves are now getting yellow and I don't know what to do.

The story:

My son brought a few sticks in last fall when we were cleaning up. He wanted to put one in a vase of water so we indulged and forgot about it. Some time later, suddenly it had green leaves growing. It looks and must be a rose of sharon. Well, around this time, we had to put our elderly and much loved dog down. So we decided this would be her tree, and planned to plant it in the spring out back in one of her favorite spots. I kept the vase full of water, and it only ever grew those little nubby white roots but always looked vigorous and kept growing.

A few days ago, I noticed it was starting to get yellow leaves, so I moved it to a sunnier window. At that time I think I also put some very dilute Miracle gro liquid feed in the vase.

Now, I was going to pot it up, but then I remembered a rose branch that followed the exact same pattern, and died no matter what I did (potted it up, etc).

So since I have no clue about shrubs, I thought I should get on here and ask all of you!

With many thanks - Andrea

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting