Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aucuba propagation?

Posted by tomtuxman 6bNY (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 8:36

I have a very large aucuba in a semi-shaded somewhat protected area. It's about 20 yrs old and positively huge. Usually when I prune, I discard the trimmings.

This year I would like to try to root some prunings to give as gifts to friends just starting their gardens (they have admired my big aucuba).

Any body know how to do this? My plant came from a friend who started a cutting in water. I tried that once but it didn't work for me.

Ideas, advice, please?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aucuba propagation?

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 12:27

Can be easy from cuttings, sometimes even roots in water like fuchsia.

o

One great way to propagate aucuba is to ground layer them. Slice partway thru (or wound) a low-lying branch, cover with a bit of soil and then set a stone on that portion. The stem should root in the ground in one season. Then separate and pot up. Set it and forget it.

I've had some root in water. May depend on time of year. Late summer and fall may be better than spring. You'll get a more robust root system by ground-layering I think.

o

Dave-in-nova, you are right on the money.

I started to mess around the perimeter of Mr/Ms Aucuba (surrounded by a thick mass of ivy), and found out it had propagated by ground-layering itself. There are three self-layered offspring that will be separated from the parent soon.

Thanks for the tip in case i get compulsive about this plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here