Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
when to plant

Posted by tulips101 5a (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 8:57

I just bought 3 pinky winky hydrangeas and the woman at the nursery said it was ok to plant now here in zone 5 I was told and have read to wait till 2 weeks after last frost date who is right I please could use some advice thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: when to plant

are they dormant.. or leafed out

did she grow them locally.. or were they shipped from down south

a pic might help ...

and finally .... the soil just thawed in my z5 MI.. its almost summer in z5 KCity ... where are you???

ken

o

bought them from a nursery these were left from last year but still gave me a year guarantee.
they are still dormate
I live 50 miles fromm Rockford il. I live in Sterling il.
they buy there stock it says proven winners on pot
I will have to figure out how to purt pic on here can I use a card reader like other places online.

o

For your pics, do you mean a memory card from your camera or phone?

o

I have used a card reader that you put your memory card from your camera in then plug into a usb and then name what file you want to put them in then I guess I could transport to this site I think

o

Yes, when posting, you can click the browse button to include 1 pic per post, once the pics are on your computer.

o

See my response to duplicate post in Hydrangea forum. The planting of hardy woody plants (trees and shrubs) is NOT governed by last frost date. That is only for cold sensitive plants like annuals and tender perennails. The only limiting factor to planting anytime you like is that soils be workable - not frozen and not overly wet.

If the plants are imported from a warmer area or grown in a greenhouse, you do need to acclimate them before planting in the ground but that's got nothing to do with last frost date!!

o

gal.. you've been in the PNW too long..

you are correct.. 'frost' is nearly irrelevant to a properly hardened off plant ..... and i would guess z8 frost is like dandruff...

its the FREEZES that kill things.. especially after they have been frosted a few times... and in my MI.. that can happen thru mid may.. and extraordinarily thru 6/1 ...

i cant tell you how many TN-south imports have perished in my MI ... on FREEZE kills ... across all spectrums of plants ... and the kicker is.. they brown up and shrivel a month later.. when the real heat hits.. and you are left trying to remember if there was a major freeze back when ...

a fully leafed out.. forced for sale .. imported into your region ..... improperly hardened off hydrenga ..... surely can die in a FREEZE... just like anything else ...

maybe it will .. maybe it wont ... she didnt ask for odds ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here