Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mainegard3

Gardening apps and books

mainegard3
11 years ago

Recommended gardening apps and or books for New England gardening?
Garden web app?
Specifically, plant/shrub/tree/ name, pruning, care, pictures.......
Thank you

Comments (3)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

you're welcome

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

IME, books are fun for browsing, general learning and planning, and if one has an interest in going very in-depth into a particular plant or type of gardening. But when I have a specific question, I'd rather ask here on GW. Within a day or two, one can get tons of info from many different people, whereas a book is usually the thoughts/experiences of just one or two people. With the slightest experience, you'll probably be more knowledgeable than any ap.

I see that you joined GW a few years ago. Are you stuck on getting started this spring? Is the New England forum a sleeper? (I don't want to click it and turn it to the "visited" color, that messes with me.)

• Iowa_Steve
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here are some thoughts based on my own reading and research this past year in preparing to re-landscape my yards with trees and shrubs.

The Homeowner's Complete Tree & Shrub Handbook, written by a northern New Englander, Penelope O'Sullivan, has almost 200 pages of plant profiles and pictures. Her observations/recommendations are heavily tilted towards what does or doesn't work well in her own area (NH, I think). The first half of the book, on landscape design, purchasing, care related to trees and shrubs is really accessible and first rate. Well illustrated. I would buy this book in a heartbeat, if only it were Midwest rather than upper New England centered!

Michael Dirr's reference books, often available in public libraries, provide excellent plant profiles for all types of woody plants (esp. trees, shrubs). Handy to have if you're interested in learning about specific trees and shrubs (but expensive, so borrowing is a good option). I haven't downloaded it yet, but Dirr's Manual of Woody Landscape Plants has been released for iPhone/iPad; the promo blurb says "Dirr's Tree and Shrub Finder covers 1670 species and 7800 cultivars, with 7600 high-quality plant images." Its database can be searched by 72 criteria, inc. hardiness zone, which would allow you to tailor it to your area. Customer reviews suggest it works best on the iPhone.$14.95.

Have you looked to see what online (and/or print) resources are available from NE state extension services and major area arboretums? As I live in Iowa I frequently turn to area databases from a couple of regional arboretums--the Morton Arboretum in Chicago and the Missouri Botanical Gardens in Chicago--for information, then extrapolate from there.

The Morton offers about a dozen specifc guides on trees and shrubs--topics like "small ornamental trees," "crabapples," "viburnums," "decid. shrubs" and "trees" by height ranges--that can be easily printed out. Each about 4-5 pages, with lists of recommended plants, inc. hardiness zone. Might work for you as they give strongest emphasis to the Upper Midwest. Go to http://www.mortonarb.org/tree-plant-advice.html and use the "Selection Guide" pulldown menu in the upper left.

Perhaps the Arnold or others in NE offer similar online guides?

In states with large land grant universities, state-run Extension services (associated with agriculture, horticulture programs) offer lots of free or low-cost, usually state-specific books, pamphlets, and/or online help. Not sure if N.E. states have anything comparable.

This winter I stumbled across a free 128-page report from Cornell focusing on "recommended urban trees for USDA plant hardiness Zone 6 and colder" (think: trees able to withstand Upstate NY conditions). While intended for urban planners selecting trees for street and park areas, it has dozens of one-page profiles on trees known for their hardiness and ease of transplanting. Surprisingly, many of the trees are ornamentals like crabapples, tree lilacs, hawthorns, etc. Includes info on ease of planting and soil moisture I haven't found elsewhere. Only takes a click to download the entire thing as a pdf. Available at: http://www.hort.cornell.edu/uhi/outreach/recurbtree/

Have fun!

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio