Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moving huge loropetalum

Posted by jankay 7b (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 9:24

Have two of these at about 14' tall and I'd like to move them from the side of the house to the backyard to use as a screen. I'm thinking I start cutting back 1/3 at a time until they're manageable??? Is that right? Should I wait until fall to actually move them? Some people have said they're indestructible and I can just whack them down and move them, but don't want to be hasty.

Many thanks :-)

Janet

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moving huge loropetalum

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 13:38

This being a witch hazel relation I wonder just how easy these really are to move, once they have rooted out well. I definitely wouldn't try it at this time of the year, with new spring top growth about to commence or already underway, and summer heat coming.

Cutting back the top would just be to make them easier to handle - it is of no benefit to the plant. And you will still have to dig huge root balls as these are evergreen shrubs that are not likely to respond well to being bare-rooted - otherwise the preferable approach, as you want to get as much root as possible when transplanting established woody plants.

o
RE: Moving huge loropetalum

are you really prepared to dig a 2 to 3 foot ball .. and move that couple hundred pounds ...

i would spend a few dollars and go buy new babes... and save the back surgery.. and cut these flush to the ground and kill the stump ...

no matter how far you cut them back ... you still need that big a ball of roots ...

its all about timing... when the timing is right.. cut it to about two feet.. move it.. and be done with it ...

if its still dormant.. and you insist.. do it now..

if its broken dormancy.. fall or winter.. depending where you are

i googled such.. 20 bucks... really.. you want to spend 4 or 5 hours digging.. dragging it across the yard ... etc.. for what you can buy for $20???? ... been there.. done that.. it isnt worth the labor...

but if you want to go for.. i applaud you

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here