Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arrietti

Shrubs for shade/slope/screening?

arrietti
11 years ago

My home is built on a slope and my back 'yard' is pretty unused at the moment. Since moving in I have started envisioning a layout. Part of that is the area joining my neighbor's lot where I am looking for some taller shrubs (3 or 4) to make some privacy. Looking for good suggestions/experiences!

- The area is in shade most of the summer. We unfortunately have lots of Norway maples growing everywhere and their foliage covers everything by the end of spring. The specific area I'm thinking of is between 2 Norway maples.

- I would like the shrubs to be able to grow tall, say 5' to 8', so that they have a screening function. The neighbor's house is further up the slope so even if I build a physical fence I won't achieve much.

- The slope in this area is about 1:7 and so far I've only seen hostas thrive in this area.

I looked around online to see what suggestions are out there, and I found an article that suggests:
- Snowball bushes
- Camelia
- Fuchsia (not my favorite)
- Hydrangeas (I have lots of those in the front but never seen them in the shade)
.. so I was wondering if anyone had good experiences with those or has better recommendations. They don't have to be flowering, e.g. a shade equivalent of a Japanese holly would be great too.
Thanks!

Comments (3)