Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are my Boxwoods dying?

Posted by bripow Michigan (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 10:13

Last May I planted Boxwoods all along my patio. I was in the backyard the other day and noticed some of them appear to be dying (leaves turning a bright yellow color). Are these dying beyond the point of no return and need to be replaced?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are my Boxwoods dying?

The way the photo appears they seem to be "tipped back" by winter. A rule of thumb is that if the foliage is orange colored it will recover but if pale tan, that part of the plant is likely dead. I don't think you should remove them, but you might clip out the tan stuff and the rest should be ok - spring will tell.
hortster

o
RE: Are my Boxwoods dying?

tough winter in my adrian mi ...

die back.. cold damage ... or they didnt harden off properly last fall.. perhaps due to late or heavy fertilizing.. or its just a function of the transplant stresses ... also.. the wall could have kept them active thru soil warming.. instead of slowing down in late fall ....

if they were anything other than boxwood.. i would tell you they are about a foot or 2 too close to the wall.. but with these.. you can trim them..

ignore them for a month.. until they start sprouting.. and once that is underway.. go in with hand shears.. and snip out the obviously dead stuff ... back to a live bud ...

there is a very distinct pattern there.. and i bet you can figure out what happened ... and i am guessing they are on the east side.. and in midwinter.. the hottest sun.. in late afternoon.. just peaked over the patio.. which also warmed in the sun and amplified the heat ...... warmed those tips.. repeatedly .... and they repeatedly thawed and refroze .. and finally gave up the spirit ... am i close???? [i think you can also see .. with the greener parts below.. just about what average winter snow cover was .... as the greener parts were wind protected under the snow ...... most of the winter.. yes???] .. that will be either brilliant analysis.. or total BS.. which is it.. lol ...

life is in the buds below those parts ..... can you see new buds swelling??.. if so.. the plants are not dead in any sense ... i would not allow a warranty claim ... YET .. anyway ... and in adrian.. buds are NOT swelling yet ... as some of the soil is still frozen .. patience ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here