Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bushes for shade, in tight space (1ft wide)?

Posted by Jowz 6B Northern VA (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 11:10

I'm redoing my backyard and I will have a "bed" surrounding the patio stone that is 1ft wide (between stone and fence). Are there any small shrubs that could be planted in that small space or am I limited to flowers? The area is in part-shade. Thanks.

This post was edited by Jowz on Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 14:05

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bushes for shade, in tight space (1ft wide)?

w/o a pic.. its hard to conceptualize..

can you do vine on the fence .... like clematis???

ken

o

• Posted by Jowz 6B Northern VA (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 7:45

This is a crude rendering of my project. The plants and hardscape are placeholders. The plan is to grow climbing hydrangea in the back fence and other plants in the 3ft space. Since it's a townhouse, I'm apprehensive about vines in the shared fences. But I do love clematis :-)

In the 1 ft spaces, I'm thinking a groundcover, Angelina sedum, but I think it would be nice to break that up with other plants.

o

I don't know many shrubs that are so narrow that they would take up only about 1 foot width, and still get -- what? maybe 4 to 5 feet tall?

Some that come to mind that are very upright are Euonymus 'Greenspire', Buxus sempervirens 'Dee Runk', and Ilex (Holly) 'Castle Spire'. But even these may require some pruning.

Or you could try to espalier something on the fence, such as a very hardy Camellia sasanqua or japonica... something that won't grow thru the fence and infringe on your neighbor's space. These will require regular pruning and training, but could be really nice with evergreen foliage AND flowers and they grow slowly enough that they should be easy to maintain.

o

seems like a perfect area for a rock garden style of planting. why not mix different sedums interspersed with some summer annuals and interesting rocks/stones?
i grow 'angelina', 'blue spruce', 'voodoo' and 'ogon' sedums in a similar setting. they are all fully hardy and evergreen here and, although mine are not in shade, they do fine with about 3-4 hours of sun.
those, along with some other low growers like creeping phlox, veronica 'georgia blue', etc. make a colorful bed.

o

Espalier is a very nice look. Here is an apple tree I did up.
APPLE AMBROSIA ESPALIER 2007 photo 6EESPALIERMALUSAMBROSIA4JUN07.jpg

Good luck with your decision and show us pics when you complete.
flora

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here