Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Arborvitae vs. Deer- will they recover?

Posted by mmqchdygg Z5NH (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 15, 09 at 11:48

I planted a row of 25 Arborvitae 2 seasons ago. The deer decimated them over the winter of 07/08, and they didn't do much of anything in the 08 growing season. Now they are mere sticks, but they aren't brittle.
Will they ever recover, and if so, about how long can I expect before they do? We're talking foot-tall babies here- from Park's Wholesale. I'm considering putting up some sort of repellent to keep them from being eaten anymore, but it doesn't look like the deer are even interested in them, anyway, now that there's no green on them.

Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Arborvitae vs. Deer- will they recover?

If they're not eaten down to the quick, close to the trunk and beyond the last bud on each branch, there's some hope. If they're going to do any regenerating, you'll see tiny green starts once the season gets going. Deer shouldn't be browsing them too much longer - once their natural food gets a little more abundant. (Vain hope!) This was a bad winter and lots of things were ravaged they might not normally go for. If they're alive and worth saving, burlapping them this fall would be about the best strategy

Arborvitae are just deer candy - I have two that are too big to wrap/protect so they get browsed up to the 5-6' mark. They regenerate over the course of the growing season - but never reach the nice look they had before they were browsed. I have 5 more in an out of the way spot that look like 8' all day suckers. When I can think of a good and possible semi-resistant alternative, these are all going to go!

The deer didn't make any attempt to nibble my new 2' Black Hills Spruce which I didn't protect - must be the short spikey needles. I picked those up very inexpensively at one of the big boxes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here