Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
splitrock_gw

Planting an area under roof snow slide zone

splitrock
9 years ago

What I have in this area so far is mountain laurel. They work because when they get hit by large amounts of snow sliding off the metal roof, we just cut them way back and they send out new growth. We keep them fairly low. I am in the planning stage for this area. We look down on it from a porch above it, and the exposure is south east, with lots of morning sun. Late frost is a problem here in areas with morning sun. I am in the NC mountains. Ideally, I would like something with some height to screen the area under the porch a bit, but I am wondering if a holly could handle this area, and stay under 10 feet so as not to block our view. Any suggestions?

Comments (6)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

Does it have to be evergreen? In an area of snow slide I have Annabelle hydrangea and a summer blooming spirea, both of which will grow back from severe pruning if the branches are damaged by falling snow.

• splitrock
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for responding, nhbabs. I am interested in your suggestion, both the hydrangea and spirea are plants I was thinking of for in front of the hopefully evergreen background. I was thinking of using limelight hydrangeas though, or fire and ice hydrangeas. I have never grown Annabelle's, and have heard that they are great except that they flop over after a rain. Has this been a problem for you?

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

Yes, Annabelle flops, but she is wedged in between other shrubs that provide support, so it really isn't a problem for me. What I like about Annabelle and other H. paniculatas that I can cut her to the ground (and the spireas as well) and she is back to full height, about 4', by bloom time. I don't know how a H. arborescens like Limelight will recover from severe pruning as I have mine in areas where they can grow to their full height.

You might want to look into Little Lime instead of Limelight since it won't get as large.

• splitrock
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your advise. I think I would like to see 5 to 7 of the same hydrangea with something lower, maybe spirea and perennials interspersed. Of all of your hydrangeas, which do you consider the most showy and successful? I am still hoping for an evergreen background, so the hydrangeas would not get hit directly with snow sliding off the roof. They would be just downslope from that area, but still need to handle late frost following warm days.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    9 years ago

If you want evergreens, you can build them little A-frame covers to protect them from the snow. Otherwise, they will be smashed into insignificance.

Are ornamental grasses a possibility?

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

I planted a rock garden under the eves for my brother in northern Idaho. He has a metal roof which sheds snow from time to time. A few years ago the snow was over four feet deep when it slid off the roof. It piled so high he couldn't see out his sliding glass door or windows. Come Spring, everything was OK.
    He has all sorts of wildlife in his remote rural area. Deer, moose, bears and ground squirrels, which makes gardening a bit difficult.
    Mike