Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is wrong with my thuja? It become rough and brown.

Posted by grazynka CA (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 29, 14 at 11:59

I have over 30 thujas in my California garden, 3 of them (in one closter) have this issue. The rest of shrubs are beight green and beautiful. Since it started ( i noticed durring summer last year) they stopped growing, they are very rough to touch and turn kind of light brown). No idea how to help it. I was given neem oil in a nursery ( and was treating my shrubs religiously) but it didn't even stop the desease. It still spreads.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is wrong with my thuja? It become rough and brown.

Can you just cut off a representative sample of the damaged portion of the foliage and take a close up photo? The above is a bit too indistinct to make a good determination.

Without a closer view, I'd say these look a lot like male pollen cones, so perfectly natural, but need close up to confirm. Pollen cones don't hang around year round and they would affect all your thujas to some degree or another so not sure if this is the issue

Close up photo please!

o

ignore it.. its actively growing just fine ...

but do give gal the pic.. for further analysis ...

never in my life.. have i head of these type plants needing to be neemed ... but i am in MI ... perhaps you were sold a useless product ... but he made his boat payment ...

are you aware of how and when to apply horticultural oil ... ???

it needs to contact a problem.. to smother it ... if you have no problem.. then all you were doing was coating your plants in oil ... and i hope you werent doing that in summer ...

ken

o

Thanks gardengal48. I am attaching picture of the infected shrub together with non infected for comparision. The infected shrubs are all covered with those 'bumpy tumours', the healthy ones are all green. They look very ill, and it doesn't look natural at all. The infected shrubs are directly next to the street and are spreading inwards.

o

Thanks Ken for your reply, too. I put the oil in late fall and winter during non rainy time. I hoped I will see the results in spring... Unfortunatly, i don't see any. I found somewhere i should cut all affected branched and burn them. It would mean i need to cut it all as the whole shrub is affected.

o

Looks like over watering to me. Improve drainage or cut back on watering and spray with a fungicide like daconil.

Frank

o

OK - that's not a water issue and even if it was, fungicide is not the solution for that sort of problem.

Arborvitae tend not get a lot of disease issues but Berkman's blight (Coryneum berkmanii) is one that can do some serious damage. My suggestion would be to take a sample of the affected foliage to your local extension office for an accurate diagnosis. If confirmed, they should suggest control measures but typically it involves pruning out the affected tissue now and then spraying to control development of the fungal spores, usually in early fall.

A preferred fungicide would be a copper sulfur application, not so much the Neem oil. But get a confirmed diagnosis first before attempting any other home health care :-))

FWIW, as long as drainage is good, it is pretty near impossible to overwater Thuja orientalis......one of its common names is swamp cedar. Typically, inadequate watering is more of a culprit for arborvitae problems.

o

Thanks a lot, i really appreciate you helping me solve this puzzle! I've been researching in the last few days very intensly online, and it looks to me like effect of false spider mite ( i am not saying it is). The little branches not only changed color but they look look deformed/mutated. I looked closely using a magnifying glass but didn't find any traces of larvae or eggs. I found one adult micro bug, but have no idea if it is related at all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here