Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! ... what is wrong w/ this R o Sharon?

Posted by ditas z4b-5 Iowa (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 28, 10 at 12:00

Hello - I planted 4 Rose of Sharon (Chiffon) in '06. This #1 did very well & grew bigger & taller than the other 3. This season she is not leafing out as the other 3. There are a few small suckers close to her base doing well.

Her canes are turning rusty, crustier & exfoliating some ... . Is there a cure for her ailment? Linked pix taken today.

TIA for any help!!! ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: Ailing RoS

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! ... what is wrong w/ this R o Sharon?

Scale.

Dan

o

• Posted by ditas z4b-5 Iowa (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 29, 10 at 10:05

Dan - thank you for your thoughts! However, I don't think Scale is what it is ... I researched just the same in case I'm missing something from what I knew of scales. I have observed the canes as well ... no foamy nor sticky spits/honeydew/sooty residues found, only dry crusty canes.

I'll apply *Cornell Formula* just the same ... 'don't think can hurt. perhaps even Sevin around her base. What do you think? Will also cut one cane & take to nursery to be DX'd.

Thanks again for responding!!! ;)

o

Pix of scale insects. Your pix clearly show armored scale, fairly common pest of Hibiscus s..

Your County Extension Service almost certainly has a sheet on this critter.

Like the emoticon, BTW.

Dan

o

• Posted by ditas z4b-5 Iowa (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 29, 10 at 16:24

Hi Dan - Love those *Insects* link - thanks a bunch!!! ;)

I did go to a few Univ Extentions, our own included & learned more!

I cut a cane to take to our nursery to be diagnosed ... checked my RoS thread to see more ideas & found your links. I still don't find any critters on the piece of cane that I scraped & dissected. Could those bugs have done the assaults last season & have cause this struggles now?

This pretty good size, cane I took is still quite green inside ... all I did now is preventative ... Sevin at the bases of the neighboring shrubs.

Again many thanks for the links! ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: Pix of RoS canes

o

I've got a Rose of Sharon I'm still waiting for to leaf out. all uthe pith is green, but it looks like twigs on a stick. Sorry about yours; they are so lovely when they are in bloom.

Please be careful with the Sevin and try to refrain from spraying it. It is lethal to bees of all kinds.

Marie/idabean (an amateur beekeeper)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here