Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fast growing privacy shrub, Hedge, Ornamental grasses, Rosebush?

Posted by frawri KY (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 5, 10 at 12:00

I am renting a nice home with a big lot, but we have no privacy from the road, and we have loads of big trucks passing by every day. I would like some sort of privacy hedge, bush, climbing rose bush, ornamental grasses, that can block the view from the road to our house. It would have to be able to grow with in the first year to block the view. We are not certain how long we will be staying in this house, maybe another two to three years. So of course we wouldnt want a plant that will take 3 to 10 years to grow tall enough to do the job. I know this is asking a lot of a plant, but it is kind of pointless to get something and not be there to enjoy the privacy that it gives us. I also know you can buy bigger plants that are already half way grown, but we can't afford a lot, and we have about 60 feet to cover, so that is going to take a lot of plants to do the job more plants equals more money. The soil is of mostly clay, and it will be in full sunlight, hope someone can help us, God bless.

Francine

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fast growing privacy shrub, Hedge, Ornamental grasses, Rosebu

Miscanthus giganteus, Giant Miscanthus, also known sometimes as Miscanthus floridulus, will grow at least 10 feet tall in the growing season. That should screen most anything you don't want to see.

This ornamental grass doesn't require much. My clumps are growing in heavy clay. They tolerate wetness better than many other plants as well.

Don't use Miscanthus sinensis; this is an exceptionally invasive pest in KY.

o

You will have to cut down grasses in early spring (a LOT of work for a 60 foot length), and then you will have nothing for a couple of months at least.

o

I'm blanking. I can't think of anything that would put on that kind of height in one year - nothing you'd want, anyway, and nothing that would provide year-round privacy. The only thing that might do the job might be privet. There is a variegated privet that grows like a weed here in TN. But I'm not even sure, if you bought small plants of it, that it would grow that quickly when young.

Most things I can think of would take about three years to reach a good size. I put in some Leyland Cypress, Green Giant Arborvitae and Yoshino Cryptomeria as a screen about two and a half years ago, and they are just now starting to do the job. These were touted as some of the fastest-growing evergreens, which is why I chose them. But even they took a couple of years. The Leyland has been the fastest among them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here