Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmand_gw

Help - Viburnum as screen ?

dmand
11 years ago

Please help with ideas for a privacy screen that must be DEER RESISTANT.

My internet research shows viburnum could work as a screen, but

which type ?

where to buy ?

My area to screen info:

NJ zone 6

at least 30 ft wide

partial/full shade

need to screen a shed

and screen neighbor's yard

Requirements:

moderate/fast growing

grows to at least 6 ft tall, prefer taller

grows wide

bushy/thick for screening

evergreen OR keeps leaves all seasons

must, must, must be deer resistant

Least important: color, flowers, leaves, scent, etc

Also, I am in NJ. Please do not suggest expensive, rare or hard to find viburnums.

I have been frustrated by the lack of knowledge at my local garden centers.

So, I would appreciate advice, links, etc.

Thank you!

Comments (11)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

I would not guarantee the deer resistance of viburnum. I have some clients whose 3 established Viburnum tinus shrubs are being maintained at less than half their normal height due to deer predation......not to mention missing most of their flowering attributes. While no plant is 100% safe from deer, some are far less appealing. I'm not sure I'd include viburnums in the 'less appealing' category :-)

A couple of not very deer tasty, relatively fast growing evergreen plants happy in shade and great for screening are Aucuba japonica or cherry laurel, Prunus laurocerasus. Both should be hardy for your zone.

• felisar (z5)
    11 years ago

In my deer plagued garden some of the less appealing viburnums (at least to deer) are cultivars of V. dentatum, lantana, and trilobum. Just be aware that young plants of these varieties are more suscetiple to deer browsing but become less attractive as they mature in size. Good luck.

• dutchess12545
    11 years ago

Hi,
    This is from Michael Dirr's book Viburnums: "Any taxa with V. utile and V. carlesi in their parentage (e.g. V. burkwoodi, V. carlcephalum Chesapeake are resistant to deer feeding. V. lantana, V. rhytidophyllum, and their hybrids display reasonable resistance. The V. plicatum group(both f. plicatum and f. tomentosum) shows variable but in general good resistenvce." I can vouch for V. plicatum tomentosum Marleisi. V. rhytidophyllum (leatherleaf viburnum) should do particularly well in NJ Z6 in partial shade. Grows to 12 feet or more. Would likely be evergreen in Z6. May have to trim to keep it thick and full. If you must have viburnum, I'd go with the Leatherleaf.

• dutchess12545
    11 years ago

http://shop.hollyhillnurseries.com/searchquick-submit.sc?keywords=leatherleaf+viburnum

20 plants about 8 inches.......$69

Holly Hill Nurseries
    PO Box 1351
    Bethlehem, PA 18016

• bogturtle
    11 years ago

Consider the hybrid V. pragense.
    I must use liquid fence, which is costly and disgusting, but effective. I cannot say, then, how resistant V. pragense is against browsing. But the leaves do not hang like bassett ears, as is the case with some more common evergreen Viburnums, in cold weather.

• dutchess12545
    11 years ago

Hi,
    I agree with bogturtle. The hybrid Pragense would be an excellent choice. It is a V. utile x V. rhytidophyllum hybrid. Both show deer resistance. Grows to 10 feet or more and is hardy to zone 5. Very fast growing and should be evergreen in Zone 6 NJ. Go for it.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Nice plant, Frank. Thanks for the pic.

tj

• dmand
    Original Author
    11 years ago

To All,
    Thank you .

Hybrid V. pragense sounds like a good fit and the picture helps.

But I can't find it at any garden centers in my area.

I am in Northern NJ.
    Where can I buy it?

• dutchess12545
    11 years ago

Contact Classic Viburnums
    Welcome to Classic Virbunums

1385 Q Rd
    Upland, NE 68981
    Tel.: 308-425-3057

V. "Pragense"
    1 gal size..$11.00.....2 gal...$19.95.......3 gal...$21.95

• dutchess12545
    11 years ago

http://www.classicviburnums.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/home.home/index.htm

Classic Viburnums

Viburnum x pragense
    Prague Viburnum

A hybrid cross between V. rhytidophyllum and V. utile made at the Prague Municipal Gardens, Czech Republic in 1955. An attractive, fast growing shrub, growing to 10' tall and 8-10' wide giving it upright oval to oval-rounded. The very waxy foliage is dark green above and felt gray beneath, 2-4" long, elliptic-lanceolate, and semi-evergreen. Flower buds are flat and pink, opening to pinkish-white, slightly fragrant 3-6" cymes in May. Fruit is red, changing to shiny black but very sparse to non-existent. Severe leaf burn but no stem or bud damage at -17�. The evergreen foliage makes it an excellent screening plant while the very waxy leaves and fine texture lends its use as an accent plant. The growth extensions are very vigorous and need to be pruned to achieve density. It can be easily trimmed as a formal hedge and I have been told of pragense being sheared as a capitata yew at a cemetery in downtown Kansas City. Zone 5

USDA Hardiness Zone:

Height:
    10 Feet
    Spread:
    8-10 Feet
    Viburnum x pragense Characteristics
    Growth Rate in the Garden

Moderate to Fast

Habit

Upright, rounded

Soil Requirements

Acid