Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
One of these Forsythia shrubs is not like the other.

Posted by ilovemytrees none (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 3, 13 at 12:14

Hi.

Both of these shrubs are supposed to be Forsythia Lynwood's, but they don't look like each other at all.

The "blond" on top is what I just received from Forest Farm; the "brunette" at the bottom is one I bought at a local nursery in my area late last summer.

It's not just the color either. The shrub from Forest Farm's limbs are spindly and weaker, plus I don't know what they did, but it looks like they cut off one of the trunks midway, and just left it there. I don't like how it looks at all. It also doesn't have half the buds of my other shrub.

Look, I know Forest Farm is a reputable nursery, and they know what they're doing.. I have bought all of my trees and shrubs there and I've been extremely happy with everything. I just don't know what is going on with these shrubs.

Why do they look so different from each other?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: One of these Forsythia shrubs is not like the other.

The wood sticking out of the ground, on the top left corner of the bottom pic, is a remnant of the wood stake we used to hold up the burlap that protected the shrub throughout the winter.

o

you need to compare flower.. to determine such..

also.. study rejuvenation pruning of shrubs.. you can make them anything you want...

you bought 'potential' ... and with forsythia.. it is easy to train them into whatever you wish ...

and one might simply be a year or two older than the other ...

forsythia have a 'natural' shape ... and let me suggest.. that neither of these has such.. due to production and shipping issues ... thought the top one is closer to reality ....

ken

o

Why do they look so different from each other?

Because they are coming from different growers. Different stock plants, different growing conditions, different treatment while growing and during shipping, even coming from different parts of the country can all affect appearance. Give 'em a couple of seasons in the ground and they should look interchangeable.

Forsythia are caning shrubs, meaning they produce individual stems (canes) directly from the root crown. Unless specifically trained in this manner, they do not produce "trunks". It doesn't hurt to cut these types of plants off close to the ground to encourage denser stem growth, especially when young. As they mature, you may want to research Ken's suggestion about rejuvenation pruning, which is most applicable to these kind of flowering shrubs.

Forsythia flowers on old growth so pruning immediately after bloom time will maximize flowering potential.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here