Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can I save viburnums?

Posted by mandoliv 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 23, 10 at 12:43

One of my viburnums never woke up this spring, and part of another one look dead as well. After doing some searching, it appears as if there are borers. I think the one is completely dead...it was looking bad last summer, but I assumed it was just the hot weather and lack of rain in illinois. Is there any way I can save the one that is just starting to go? I'll have to cut down the dead one, but should I just cut down the other one too? I have 3 others that look good, lots of flowers and healthy leaves, no signs of borers that I can see. I there something I can put on the healthy ones to protect them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can I save viburnums?

I have this same problem--can't recall which type of viburnum but I beleive it was a fragrant one that made the "snowballs". I cut the dead portion out of one so it is much sparser at the moment. The other is a dead shrub at this point. For my part I will wait and see.
Mine could have been vole damage, mowing damage or some other insect. One had a compromised area at the base. I can't see what the issue is with the other. I did buy these as late season rescues from hot pots on asphalt a few years ago. Possible a root girdled the others. Dunno.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here