Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Half Shrubs!?

Posted by harryshoe z6easternPA (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 23, 12 at 12:59

I have two shrubs which seem to be growing on one half of the bush but still dormant on the other. One is a Leather Leaf Viburnum. The other is a Dwarf Korean Lilac. When I scratch twigs on the dormant areas, I see bright green inside.

There are no obvious signs of distress.

Both shrubs have been growing here for about 7 years. There is a second bush of each variety nearby which is growing normally.

Could our severe drought conditions be the cause?

Or maybe the warm winter and hot early spring has them completely confused.

Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Half Shrubs!?

"Could our severe drought conditions be the cause?
Or maybe the warm winter and hot early spring has them completely confused. Any ideas?"

I think "you" got the idea! :P

That is exactly what caused that to happen. Plants grow differently depending on the weather. The dormant side will open when the weather warms up. Then you can see what kind of shaping is needed; assess the damage, if any.

o

We just got 2" of rain and cooler temps. Normal for April. Maybe some stimulus for growth.

Another thought: These are not single "trunk" small trees. Each has many shoots. Is it possible that some of the basal growths from below are in reality separate plants?

o

Anything's possible I guess. Several of my shrubs have similar problems, lowest on the stem are new buds, then above that are a few closed buds or bare stems, and on the tips, buds that started to open, but stayed closed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here