Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for Success Stories - Eradicating Chinese Ligustrum

Posted by Tayinnawin_Nell 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 18, 13 at 13:05

My 10 year old corner lot home has 20 mature Variegated Chinese Ligustrum planted along the street-facing fence. I purchased my home as an "inventory home", so the landscaping was already installed by the home builder. By the time I came to realize the invasive nature of these demon shrubs about 7 years ago, they had become quite successfully established.

Currently, the monstrously dense and fibrous root system has spread at least 20 feet into my back yard. Each time I work in the garden- which is every day, I unavoidably prune the roots - thereby making the shrubs more vigorous. I attempted raised, landscape timber beds (4 timbers in height) for vegetables one year, but within 3 months, the roots fully invaded this space as well and choked out everything except fire ants. To make this even more painful and seemingly hopeless, I have increasingly more and more reverted green growth.

Can anyone share tips, success stories, anything encouraging? I am especially seeking any advice from someone who has successfully eradicated a similarly mature mass planting of this nightmare shrub.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for Success Stories - Eradicating Chinese Ligustrum

Have you treated freshly cut stumps with a glyphosate herbicide?

o

I have not yet progressed past the hopeless/bitter/despair phase of my elimination plan.

RoundUp to the cambium layer is the most logical and deliciously vengeful method; but I am scared of doing this on 20 shrubs that average 6' (limbed up) and any resulting attempts at removing the shrub corpses. (AND the resulting HOA showdown if I dare take more than 1 day to remove before-mentioned shrub corpses)

If I used RU and the privets died, how long would it take and what about those massive roots?

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 12:55

Get some estimates from some landscapers for their removal and the method they will use. Then talk to your Homeowners association and see what they have to say. I have worked with HMOs a lot over the years and have generally found them to be cooperative when it comes to common sense. There are exceptions, of course.
Point out the builder's error in choosing Ligustrum and the problems they're giving you. Tell them you want to upgrade your landscaping to better looking plants with less trouble.
Mike...retired landscaper.

o

When it comes to killing woodies, triclopyr does a better job of it than glyphosate.

o

I agree that triclopyr would be better. I've used it on lots of woody plants that showed up unwanted on my property.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here