Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tayinnawin_nell

Looking for Success Stories - Eradicating Chinese Ligustrum

Tayinnawin_Nell
11 years ago

My 10 year old corner lot home has 20 mature Variegated Chinese Ligustrum planted along the street-facing fence. I purchased my home as an "inventory home", so the landscaping was already installed by the home builder. By the time I came to realize the invasive nature of these demon shrubs about 7 years ago, they had become quite successfully established.

Currently, the monstrously dense and fibrous root system has spread at least 20 feet into my back yard. Each time I work in the garden- which is every day, I unavoidably prune the roots - thereby making the shrubs more vigorous. I attempted raised, landscape timber beds (4 timbers in height) for vegetables one year, but within 3 months, the roots fully invaded this space as well and choked out everything except fire ants. To make this even more painful and seemingly hopeless, I have increasingly more and more reverted green growth.

Can anyone share tips, success stories, anything encouraging? I am especially seeking any advice from someone who has successfully eradicated a similarly mature mass planting of this nightmare shrub.

Comments (5)