Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
may_flowers

Is Viburnum 'Watanabe' a compact version of 'Summer Snowflake'?

Gracie
9 years ago

I'm on the hunt for V. 'Summer Snowflake' but haven't been to the nurseries yet. Yesterday I came across 'Watanabe' at Home Depot. It's supposed to be a compact doublefile that blooms off and on all season. It claims to be 6' but I couldn't find any photos of a mature plant on the web. Would this be a good substitute for 'Summer Snowflake' if I can't find it at the nursery?

It's only seven bucks so I'm not concerned with HD quality so much, and most likely it was grown in Oregon where I live anyway. They look good.

Comments (4)

• kevin_5
    9 years ago

They may be one in the same plant. I have both, and neither stays below 6'. They perform similarly. I am sure they are quite mixed up out there in retail land, and one will substitute for the other.

• Gracie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Kevin. Do they have any horizontal branch structure whatsoever like v. tomentosum? I'm really torn between the structure v. the repeating bloom. Tomentosum is the only one I've seen in person.

This post was edited by may_flowers on Tue, Apr 29, 14 at 16:45

• viburnumvalley
    9 years ago

Here's a nice 'Summer Snowflake' growing in Louisville, KY.

• kevin_5
    9 years ago

Like in VV's picture, they are more upright yet still have that horizontal branching structure of their brethren.