Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dogwood confusion

Posted by boothbay 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 21, 12 at 13:13

I have seen beautiful Dogwoods in bloom..red, white. Is a Dogwood a tree or a shrub? Cause I do see a difference in the blooms. The trees have what looks like a four leaf clover type, and the shrub ( which I have, I think ) are little small, round flowers in batch's...white at that. I bought this because of the Fall color it was suppose to give off its branch's and etc., which it does..red...its the "Cardinal Red Twig Dogwood".

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dogwood confusion

Your dogwood is a shrub and has the small clusters of flowers. There are several varieties of shrub dogwood that can be hard to tell apart if you aren't a botanist. There is one tree (Pagoda dogwood, Cornus alternifolia) that has similar flowers to the shrubs.

There are two common types of dogwood tree in the eastern half of the country which have the "four leaf clover type" of blossoms which are actually 4 large bracts (the "petals") and then in the center a small cluster of blossoms which if fertilized will turn fruit. Cornus florida is the native flowering dogwood and has its flowers before the leaves come out. Cornus kousa, is an Asian dogwood and is commonly called Kousa dogwood. It has leaves when it flowers a few weeks later than the native flowering dogwood. The fruit looks different on these two, and if you search for images you can easily see the difference. Either of these trees can have white or pink flowers, depending on the particular plant selection you are growing.

o

all because of the use of common names ...

if you want to learn.. you need to find the latin names.. and then learn the characteristics of each type ...

sometimes.. when relying on common names.. you find out.. they arent ever related at all ... like the butterfly bush.. which is used for buddelia and whatever the latin is for butterfly weed

ken

o

Ken-"Butterfly weed" is the common name for Asclepias tuberosa. You would never be able to confuse it for a butterfly bush. Unless you were really, er, confused...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here