Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edweather

I need a deep purple Lilac recommendation.

I am thinking about getting my wife a lilac for Mother's Day. She said that she likes the deep purple ones, but that they're special and have to be ordered. We have a nice spot in front of our house just waiting for something to be planted in it. Can someone please recommend a good one, if there is more than one type, and where to buy it. We have a large nursery near where I work and I'm going there today and see what they have. Thanks in advance.

Comments (7)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

if it were me.. i would scout out the local nursery.. and when their stock is in bloom ...

i would take wifey to pick what she thinks is the best ...

not only based on color.. but scent.. etc .. and mildew resistance ...

to me .. scent would be more important than color ... as some are light weights .. and other will knock her socks off ...

now for a real.. summer long show.. though not purple.. would she consider a variegated one???? check out the pix below ... lavender flowers [or is that a lilac lilac] .... intensely scented .. though a bit sparse.. the leaves make up for it .. in my estimate ...

otherwise.. a lilac is a one week show ... but not this one .... Syringa vulgaris 'Dappled Dawn' ... though i doubt you will find it locally

happy anniv!!!!

ken

Syringa vulgaris 'Dappled Dawn'
    {{gwi:249275}}

{{gwi:242701}}

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ken, thanks. I was at the nursery today. They have 4 different lilacs. One was a deep purple flower, and of course it was the most expensive. $40, as compared to $35 for the others. I took pictures of the tags, and will carefully look at them later. I like your suggestion of letting her pick one out when they come in bloom.

• tepelus
    12 years ago

Ooh, I like that 'Dappled Dawn', Ken. I want a lilac for my yard too, and as you've said, they are a one week show. The variegated leaves look really nice. Where'd you pick that up from? Goes in search on the interwebs.

Karen

12 years ago

my sources are top secret .. lol ..

a nursery with 40 varieties.. zowweee ... have a great day with her ....

actually mine came as a sucker from a friend ... gotta have garden friends ...

ken

Original Author
    12 years ago

Once I decide which kind I want, is there anything special to look for when choosing one plant over another? Thanks.

12 years ago

i would look for straight stems ... rather than one that has been chopped up for shipping purposes ...

otherwise .. it is a shrub that is pruned thru rejuvenation pruning .. google that if you want...

so no matter what it looks like at purchase.. it can be corrected as the years run by

ken

Original Author
    12 years ago

Ken, thanks again. If I remember correctly, the nursery had fairly good sized Lilacs. Burlap on the root ball...the whole nine yards. Straight stems it is. Thanks again. Ed