Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Another question about pruning beautyberry

Posted by amateur_expert z6 MD (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 18, 06 at 13:28

I have the 'Issai' - one lonesome bush that looked great when I bought it but seems to be reluctant to get going this spring.

I have green leaves just starting to appear on some parts of some of the woody stems. I had to keep telling my husband it was in fact alive because he didn't believe me until these few leaves started popping out. I've seen no growth from the base of the plant (where's the new wood come from?). Should I just prune it now to encourage new growth or see what it is going to do and hope it turns into something this year? Or am I just impatient and it just needs a little more time? ... now that I think about it I overheard an employee at my local nursery tell another customer that they don't get them in until summer - is that because they look horrible until summer? LOL. Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another question about pruning beautyberry

Hi amateur,

My beautyberries are just now ~barely~ starting to leaf out in zone 5, they are somewhat late to leaf and get going. Once they wake up though they grow pretty fast. You can prune it if you want, how big is it? The resident rabbits prune mine down to about 6" every winter but by late summer you would never know.

o

Thanks so much. It is about 2 1/2 feet and looks so dead and ugly. We have lots of rabbits - I wonder why they didn't eat it? Oh well. I'll just wait and see what happens...

o

I have three Callicarpa "Issai' and I cut them back to stubs every spring. Once they get going they grow fast, and by summer they're about 5 feet tall.

o

laceyvail: Do you find they look nicer when you do that?

o

The first year/winter I had mine, the rabbits did their thing as described by juicylucy, and the plant looked great the next summer. So I always cut it back either in the winter or very early spring - if the rabbits haven't already beat me to it. Keeps the bush under control and no old woody stems. I moved mine this winter and it's just now starting to send up mew sprouts.

o

anateur expert--Callicarpa dichotomas, of which 'Issai' is one cultivar, definitely do better treated as cut back plants, like Buddleias. They don't leaf out for a very long time, but then they make a tight, compact mass about 4 1/2 to 5 feet tall.

o

Yes, all the Beautyberries are very slow to leaf out. They can be prunned alot and will just grow better for it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here