Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
comparing Barberry 'Royal Burgundy' to 'Concorde'

Posted by wendyb 5A/MA (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 12, 14 at 13:36

Has anyone grown both of these to compare habit, color etc.

I have grown Royal Burgundy and liked it a lot, but it isn't sold anymore and I have moved and am doing a new bed where it would be great.

However, I just saw 'Concorde' for sale and it looks cute too. Maybe a little stiffer? I could possibly get a Royal Burgundy transplant from a friend. I gave her a section of mine years ago and she doesn't have a good spot for it. It has struggled at her place so she offerred it back to me for my new place. It's a good price :-), but unpleasant to transplant.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: comparing Barberry 'Royal Burgundy' to 'Concorde'

Royal Burgundy still sold around here so the plant IS available but perhaps just not in your area? It is an "improved" form of Crimson Pygmy, so a larger and looser plant overall than Concorde.

RB - 2'x3'
C - 18" mound

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 12, 14 at 20:16

I thought is got its name for its leaf color....deep purple vs. a reddish purple of Royal Burgundy. Both are nice and are distinct in color IMO.

o

Ah yes, interesting point. I wanted it to complement a Physocarpus that is nearby, but I don't know which cultivar it was. Looks like the Physocarpus goes with Royal Burgundy in June and Concorde in October. I suspect the berberis varies with the seasons too.

June:

October:

I should probably go with Royal Burgundy for better match in season, plus its the larger one for more substance and it's more mature. and free :-) Not that the color has to be dead on, but as long as I have the choice...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here