Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning Sea Green Juniper?

Posted by diginthedirt17 z5 IL (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 26, 07 at 14:13

Hello, I have 3 sea green junipers along the walkway to our porch which are 6 years old. Every year I prune them back pretty hard to keep them from taking over. Is there a proper way to prune these junipers? I like how the tops arch up, but I'm afraid they might be planted too close together (about 3 feet apart) so I end up cutting them way back. Should I only prune the sides/bottom hard, and leave the top? Thanks for any advice or pictures of how they should look!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning Sea Green Juniper?

I tried the same thing years ago and could not get them to look good after years of pruning. boy, do they get big! I evenutally got rid of them. There may be a right way to keep them pruned to stay in bounds, but they are probably best in a location where they can sprawl and keep their natural shape.

o
RE: Pruning Sea Green Juniper?

my best advice ... being a person who doesn't want to work that hard every year ...

prune at or about ground level with a chainsaw dig them out and be done with them ... juniper will die if cut at ground level ... no dormant buds to resprout ... or if you favor digging out the roots/stump .. leave a piece of trunk to help with the process ....

they are the wrong bush for the wrong place ..... at the wrong time if i happened to walk by with the saw .. lol ...

do some research and find plant material that is better suited to its location ...

and dream of all those hours of leisure previously wasted on them ...

good luck
ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here