Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weigela and deutzia question

Posted by angel9603 5/6 sw pa (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 19, 10 at 14:23

Hello, I bought 5 fine wine weigelas and 2 deutzia chardonnay pearls last year. I got them through mail-order as my local nurseries did not have these specific two. They are still pretty tiny at only 3-4 inches tall. How much growth can I expect this year. 3 of the weigelas are in full sun. The other 2 and the deutzia are in the sun until early afternoon with shad the rest of the day, if that makes a difference.

Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weigela and deutzia question

just mulch them well.. and insure PROPER watering .. deep and infrequent.. rather than a bunch of shallow waterings .... and get them to live thru year 2 ....

thought the sun sounds OK ... there are too many other variable for me to guess how they will do this year ...

set your expectations low.. and then be pleasantly surprised when they exceed such ...

hoping for too much in year 2.. just sets yourself up for disappointment ...

ken

o
RE: Weigela and deutzia question

I wanted some shrubs in my yard basically as early hummer draws. Anyway Im lucky in the fact there is a rural king within a mile of me that has a great shrub selection and I purchased a weigela wine and roses and 2 weigela red prince. The larger red prince was a 2gal size and I have been watering daily and covered in a recent freeze and the larger one is absoutely loaded with buds and there is no way I can see it not blooming fully by midmay, when everything I read is saying june. Anyway I am confused about the pruning after the first flowering, exactly how to go about it. I have a pr of pruning shears.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here