Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bush honeysuckle

Posted by gardeningannie 06 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 14:42

Not sure I have the right forum:
Need to remove a large bush honeysuckle. I've cut it down to a stump which is beginning to resprout. I really don't want to use Roundup and would rather dig it out.

Does anyone know about the root system on a BH? Am I in for a lot of work or, like the branches, is it just 'a snap'?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bush honeysuckle

just start digging.. you will find out

ken

o

Hmmm ~ sounds ominous. Either you don't know or you don't want to scare me off by speaking the truth. :)

o

He doesn't know.

One of my most common weeds is an invasive type of bush honeysuckle. Either Amur or Tatarian. I don't know, and I'm not even sure if there is a difference. With moist soil, it is possible to pull up fairly large specimens because the roots are quite shallow. Whether this is true of other types of bush honeysuckles, I have no idea.

o

I had a maple that resprouted for a few years. I put about two feet of compost and clippings on it and that took care of it.

o

I've had success putting a heavy duty black plastic bag over a stump and weighting it down with rocks.. After several years, they give up.

o

Sometimes it takes a conglomeration of mechanical means to convince something to die. Chopping into a stump is an excellent 1st step!

I might try smothering too, maybe sit a black pot upside-down on it, cover drain holes with something. Check often to remove any attempted growth until it gives up. Killed a boxwood that way.

I might use an axe to split the stump, hack at it to expose the inside as much as possible, then slowly dump the biggest pot of boiling water you can safely handle. Have you had someone big, strong kick it really hard? Might knock it loose. Know anyone with a hitch on the back of a truck? Yank it out. Knocking loose/yanking/digging works best when the ground is moist and soft, probably not necessary to mention at this time, I think most places have had a ton of rain lately.

Are sure there's no buried utilities in that immediate area? If you're at ALL unsure, call "call before you dig." Then it's *their* fault if something gets messed up when you dig. If not, it's your responsibility (financially.)

o

Bush Honeysuckle has a relatively shallow root system. But it has a tendency to regrow from leftover bits of root so clear it out the best you can.

o

Bush Honeysuckle has a relatively shallow root system. But it has a tendency to regrow from leftover bits of root so clear it out the best you can.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here