Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wendyb_gw4

Help me decide narrow evergreen from short list

WendyB 5A/MA
10 years ago

let's say "narrow-ish"

The spot is at the corner of the house and faces southeast. It gets morning sun from sunrise til about 2:00. I don't like arborvitae or juniper. My short list in no particular order is:

1. Picea pungens 'Baby Blue Eyes'

2. Picea pungens 'Sester's Dwarf'

3. Buxus 'Green Mountain'

4. Buxus 'Green Tower' (probably too narrow for my tastes)

5. Chaemcyparis 'Soft Serve'

I think I have a source for all but Sesters and I think I know where I might find that if its the winner.

This is a condo and the prune-happy landscapers would do best with something that stays tidy looking so they keep their claws away!!

I guess the criteria is width and height in 10 years. Ideally would like it to max at 4' wide and 8' tall. I have to start small due to budget, but I don't want to wait forever for it to put on some size either for my enjoyment. (yeah, I know contradictory!!!)

This is a 55+ condo community so in another 10+ years or so, if I'm still here, I don't think I'll care so much if the landscapers trim it at that time.

The siding is light sage green so the darker choices may look better, but I do love a good blue spruce

This post was edited by wendyb on Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 16:58

Comments (8)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

the pungens should not be sheared by just any idiot ... just me.. lol ... i would rule those out for that reason ...

you also dont mention how far from the building.. you can plant ...
    ken

• WendyB 5A/MA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

no constraints in front of building. plenty of room. I'll be layering. But the smaller the footprint, the more other stuff I can plant too. I have a wish-list a mile long!!

I agree that snipping a pungens is not standard fare. Another reason to not have a pungens there is I am just on the cusp of required sun in that spot.

I suppose I could get my blue fix with a small montgomery or glauca glubosa in the front or middle layer. I was hoping to have 2 blues for cohesiveness -- a tall and a short. The front layer gets sun a little longer.

I sourced a 5 gal Baby Blue Eyes for $30 and I hate to pass that deal up!!! Hmmm... is it container worthy? I have a great spot for that.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, I went to take a look at the P. 'Baby Blue Eyes' today and it was a very nice looking plant, but definitely decided to pass on it for this spot. The size of the needles did not convey dwarf to me or container plant. I think the boxwood is a better choice for the end of the house. I couldn't find Buxus Green Tower anywhere, so I went with Green Mountain. That can get quite big in time too, but it is very trimmable. I saw one at a botanic garden that was about 6' wide and at least 10' tall.

While I was at the conifer place, I did snag an adorable Picea 'Bergman's Gem'. What a cutie!!!

I also picked up a P. Montgomery so I will have some blue going and it will be in the front layer so it will get even more sun. A Fothergilla Blue Shadow (if I can find one) and a couple of Blue Star junipers will round out the blue nicely. Sure wish I had some shade for a blue hosta, but sadly, no

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

really.. you opted for the huge potential of monty over the dwarf potential of BBEs???

whatever .. shape into xmas tree shape and cut it down and use it for such.. when it starts getting too big ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• WendyB 5A/MA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah, but I just didn't feel the dwarfness of BBE. Lots of web conflicting info on size. More larger than smaller. I saw a lot of pics that did not inspire foundation planting in the least.

At least monty can be trimmed by landscaper idiots without doing much damage over the long term. Hey, that's what you said too!!

The dark color will be good against the house and make a good plain background for perennials in front.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    8 years ago

WendyB(5A/MA), what is your source for evergreens in MA? Thanks!

• WendyB 5A/MA
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yikes, that was almost 2 years ago. I'm not sure where. It may have been Mason Hollow Nursery in Mason NH. They specialize in hosta with a side passion for evergreens. The Sester's Dwarf reference was also someplace in NH because my friend in Goffstown got one a few year's ago and I was going to ask her where she got it. I also frequent Mahoney's in Chelmsford or Concord MA when looking for something non run-of-the-mill. I used to like Central Mass Garden Center in Lunenburg, but lately their stock seems pretty ho-hum (or did I get pickier?). They do have a lot of it. And Cupp&Cupp Nursery in Littleton, MA was a good source, but they either closed or are now wholesale-only. Cataldo Nursery in Littleton sometimes has some winners. It's hit or miss.

And my Buxus 'Green Mountain' isn't working out too well so I might have to revisit this corner. It has a dual leader at the base and i think that may be causing it to grow way too slowly. The one I had at my former house grew much better. And the leaves are often discolored. Possibly a soil issue.

Oh, there's also a solid place in Northborough... Bigelow's Nursery. They sell wholesale and retail. Pretty huge place. I've only been there a couple of times.

Oh yes, and the "cadillac" of MA places is Weston Nurseries - Hopkinton or Chelmsford.

What are you looking for?

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    8 years ago

Wendy, not looking for anything in particular, just interested in where you get unusual evergreens to add it to my mental list of good local nurseries. If your friend in Goffstown is T2D, I'll ask bout her Sester's Dwarf. Thanks for such a complete answer.