Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Branches on YEW tree turning brown.

Posted by cadence 8b (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 21, 11 at 15:07

Zone 8b, Fraser Valley, BC

Hi,
I just noticed that a couple of branches on my Yew tree are turning brown. Can someone please tell me why this might be happening? I believe this is a Hicks Yew. I planted it at the end of October and it looked okay through the winter months.

Should I cut of the brown branches and give it some kind of a foliar feed or fertilize? Your help is appreciated. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Branches on YEW tree turning brown.

has it budded out otherwise ???

if a soil test indicates something is missing from the soil .. then amend the soil ...

otherwise.. we do NOT suggest that you fertilize a stressed plant ...

insure proper watering..

i would give it another month of so.. before i decided to cut on it.. but i dont know how far along your spring is in your zone ...

PROPER water is all a transplant needs .. IMHO ... but for PROPER MULCH ...

ken

o

Forgive me Ken, but am very new to growing yews. How can I tell if it has budded out? It has little round brownish colored buds on it but I don't know if these are new or if they were there before.

When I do a soil test, what type of soil is best for yew? I have clay soil but it has been ammended with compost.

I won't fertilize it. We've had lots and lots of rain for the past few months. Believe me, our spring hasn't even started yet. During the month of April, we've seen lots of rain, wind, hail and the temperature for this time of year is lower than normal. Thanks Ken.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 21, 11 at 20:32

Yew must have excellent drainage at all times. Yours probably has a water mold infestation going on. Impossible to be more certain without more intensive investigation. If you were down here I would suggest trying the Cooperative Extension Service in your county, for assistance.

o

For a plant just put in in October, and not a clear definition of "a couple of branches" it is tough to say. Might have been mishandled at the nursery, transplant shock, whatever. Don't fertilize, wait, and if you can post a pic that would help.

tj

o

I'm having a similar problem in North Texas with a Podocarpus (maki?) in front of my house. The top side of the leaves are turning yellow/brown, with small brown spots. Is anyone familiar with this problem, and know how to treat it? Thanks!
http://i55.tinypic.com/33z8k5t.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: podocarpus disease picture

o

We have 4 yew trees which are all the same age and at least 40 years old. They are all next to each other but one is getting big brown patches on it. No one has ever done anything to any of the trees yet this one looks bad this year while the other three look great. Any comments to bozesimp@htc.net would be greatly appreciated.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here