Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which Clethra?

Posted by marcindy z5b (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 15, 10 at 15:14

I am trying to narrow the choices down for two different situations. One is on westside of my house, between a soon to be planted silverbell tree (Halesia) and a Japanese Maple (Yasemin), distance about ten feet. The site is almost full sun, and is bordered by a tall hedge of bridal spireas, which we inherited with the house and keep pruned to about 6 feet tall. The sweetshrubs would form a second layer in front to that hedge, so I am looking at something that doesn't exceed a height of 4 feet or so. I envision it as a really low maintenance section of my yard that entices you to stroll by in the summer and enjoy the scent. The flowers can either be white or pinkish red, either one would work there.

The second situation is in partial shade to shade under a canopy of high white pines. I want to use a white flowering clethra as a backdrop for a small white statue. The statue (same as the one from "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil? stands at the end of an axis through my yard, very visible from our house. Right now you kind of look past the statue and through the pine tree trunks. I want to create a semi-circular hedge of about 6ft height to focus your eye on the statue. Which variety would work best in that partial shade situation?

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which Clethra?

• Posted by whaas 5a Milwaukee (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 15, 10 at 20:55

Clethra alnifolia will work in both appliations, the one in full sun may require supplemental moisture.

'Sixteen Candles' and 'Hummingbird' are more compact rounded selections. 'Ruby Spice' would be a medium size plant and 'Pink Spires', along with the species would get closer to or exceed the 6' mark.

Remember Clethra is very late to leaf out.

o
RE: Which Clethra?

• Posted by leafy02 6 Central Kentucky (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 17, 10 at 17:25

I think especially in the statue background, you'll want to take the lateness of leafing out into consideration.

I have two of the smaller Clethra in front of my house, full sun from morning until afternoon, and they are just now getting a few leaves. The larger Clethra (I think it is Ruby Spice but can't swear to it) I have in the back yard in a less sunny spot only has leaf buds, no leaves yet, while my bridal spireas are blooming and my hydrangeas have lots of big leaves.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here