Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shrub ID please

Posted by sam_md z7 MD (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 15:20

After a tough winter I came across shrubs planted in the median strip in Maryland. Foliage quality is great also no sign of salt damage considering they are close to highway.
Multi-stemmed shrubs perhaps 8X8' quite dense all the way to the ground. Can you name them? Will deer bother them?
 photo 03-22-14001.jpg
 photo 03-22-14003.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shrub ID please

Looks very much like Prague viburnum, V. pragense. Shiny rich green above, silvery beneath, evergreen. Leaves are the right size, too.

o

I'll second that.

o

Praguense it is. It's a hybrid between V. rhytidophyllum and V. utile.

They handled this winter like troopers! Good to see them being planted more!

I've wondered how they might do limbed up as a standard, but I suspect the week branches would be pulled down by snow and ice.

o

Absolutely that is Viburnum x pragense.

Weak branches? Bite your tongue.

The branches will have the exact same strength, whether your plant is single stemmed or multi-stemmed.

Go out on that limb...

o

vv: have you ever seen them limbed up as a standard?

o

So we're gonna call this Prague Viburnum, that's a new one for me. I see that it is a hybrid so am hoping it is sterile. Looks like a great shrub for screening, massing and no maintenance whatsoever.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here