Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Photinias-Red Robin - Leaves Burning

Posted by immobilus Tucson (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 16:29

Hello:

I live in the desert (Tucson) and wanted to plant large privacy shrubs in my yard. I ended up buying photinias for $20 at Lowes. They're on the north (direct sun exposure) and south sides (partial shade) of my yard. The plants on the south side are growing beautifully and partially shaded by the wooden fence. The ones on the north side are anemic looking, have severe burns on the leaves, etc. I was wondering whether there was a way to increase their resistance to sun burn besides putting something in front of them. I thought about planting something in front of them to give them some shade, but I am wondering if they would always have to be shaded or if they'd grow more tolerant as they got larger. They're about two feet tall and been in the ground about a year. I did fertilize them, which was probably a mistake.

I have to water them every day.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Photinias-Red Robin - Leaves Burning

I can't imagine a less suitable plant for a desert planting!
It will always require regular routine irrigation to survive and your alkaline soil and water conditions will not be to its liking, hence the chlorosis. And time will have no bearing on sun tolerance, either. I'd be highly inclined to cut my losses and replant with something more appropriate to your location and climate.

Rather than plant shopping at a box store - always a risk for hardiness/suitability - visit a better retail garden center in your area and see what they suggest. Evergreen drought tolerance would top my list of requirements. Off the top of my head, oleander, hopbush (Dodonaea viscosa) or Arizona rosewood (Vauqualinia californica) come to mind but upright juniper or Italian cypress could work also.

But forget the photinia - a very poor choice for your situation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here