Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
shrubs we can propagate now from branches, cuttings, etc

Posted by mary4b 4b WI (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 27, 09 at 16:54

I was just noticing that my Hakuro Nishiki needs a hair cut, I forgot to cobble it this winter. I think I will cut a few of the naughty branches off and root them. It occurred to me...what other shrubs can be propagated by stem or root cuttings, or layering (I think that's the one where you pin a sprout down in the ground until it roots...)

Here are some that I have on my property which I would be curious if I could do the layering or stem cutting right now:

Red Twig Dogwood Elegantissima
Diablo Ninebark
Snowball Viburnum
Annabelle Hydrangea (This one I'm pretty postive can be done.)
Limelight Hydrangea?
Tardiva Hydrangea?
Bridalwreath Spirea

It would be cool to creat a list and see how many babies we could make this spring! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: shrubs we can propagate now from branches, cuttings, etc

Defintely dogwoods. One time I had some YEAR OLD red stem cuttings for decoration hanging around in my garage. I put them in a container for an accent. Before long they leafed out!!

ANd, I was just pruning my dogwood 'Ivory Halo' today. I didn't want to put the clippings in the passive compost pile because of that tendency to so easily root. So I stuck them in a large pot on the patio as a filler. I am curious to see how they do.

Spirea and forsythia easily layer. I pull up little plants all the time and give them to friends.

o

Thanks Wendy!

I found this wonderful link...a nursery professional shows how to achieve soft stem cuttings at home. Very easy, very nice instructions...no cost! Also, there's a great list on which shrubs one can do...looks like most of mine are on the list.

Here is a link that might be useful: propagating shrubs from softwood cuttings

o

I also have a Dappled Willow that I just planted about a week ago. I've already taken cuttings from it. Looks like it's going to be a fast growing monster in my garden! I love how the pinkish leaves almost look like flowers.

I took tip cuttings from several bushes including my 'Rosy Glow' japanese barberry. You have a lot of varieties I'm looking for in cuttings and/or plantlets and would love to pull a trade if your interested. I'm trying to build up my landscape a little.

o

Winter jasmine--any branches that touch the ground root!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here