Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danell_hiltz

Amelanchier or Aronia? [Medford Oregon]

Danell Hiltz
12 years ago

I am thinking of using one of these plants between a Juniper Virginiana Monbell aka Prairie Pillar (tall narrow blue-green conifer 15-20' x 3') and a Betula Nigra Dura-Heat along with grasses like Molina careula variegata and coreopsis.

I know both sucker and am wonder which may be the least troublesome not only in suckering but overall care, and which would look best. Soil is clay-loam with ph of 7.0 with southeast exposure.

Comments (11)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

Both my Amelanchier x grandiflora and Aronia melanocarpa are trouble free in a similar pH...in zone 5 WI. Neither suckers much for me. Overall, for birds, blooms, berries and fall color I'd go with Amelanchier.

tj

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Presumably the best adapted will be locally native Amelanchier alnifolia.

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Although you can have issues with these two plants up to a mile away I typically avoid planting Juniper and plants from the Rosaceae family near eachother.

Otherwise Amelanchier a thousand times over.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    12 years ago

I've had both and I gave away one Amelanchier shrub, cut down an Amelanchier tree, am ripping out the last shrub. Last year I added Aronia and while I haven't had it that long, I'm already happier with it then I was with the Amelanchier shrubs and trees. The Amelanchier just didn't perform in our garden. It was stripped of leaves by winter moths one spring and although everything else in the yard, recovered fine, the amelanchier did not. The tree had powdery mildew that effected it despite being planted in a Southern exposure and reduced the flowers/fruiting to almost nonexistent and was pretty unsightly too. The Aronia is 'Brilliantissima' and has some very good reviews online. So, I can't swear by the Aronia, but I have not had good experiences with the Amelanchier. Here in zone 6, it is hardy, but not a performer for me. I try to grow as many natives as I can, so I hope the Aronia will work out.

• Danell Hiltz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I did go with the alnifolia, the Regent.

What can I expect with it planted near the Juniper and is there anything I can do reduce any negatives because they are planted close together?

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

What kind of juniper? I have pfitzer juniper (J. x media) that is not an issue. J. scopulorum or J. virginiana are another matter. You may get cedar-apple rust.

tj

• Danell Hiltz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dang tj, the Juniper is a Virginiana. Well perhaps I can put Eupatorium there instead (or the Aronia) and give the Amelanchier to a friend. Glad I asked. Thanks for the heads up whaas.

• Danell Hiltz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Or mabye a Ribes, that won't be a problem with the Juniper Virginiana will it?

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

I wouldn't forgo the serviceberry just for that. For years even though I didn't have have J. virginiana, they were in the neighborhood and my serviceberry was fine. I got a J. scopulorum a few years back which occationally gets cedar-apple rust but my serviceberry shows little negative effects. How close would they be to each other?

tj

• Danell Hiltz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

3-5 feet apart. My neighbor across the street also has an apple tree she has been spraying for fungus so I think I'd be inviting disaster. As is, I think I'll need to have a good spray program for both her apple tree as well as my junipers. Do you have any suggestions? I'm calling our Extension office now. Thanks again tj.

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

At only 3'-5' apart the tree and the shrub/tree are going to soon be on top of each other.