Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wendyb_gw4

surprising shrub mail order source .. who knew?

WendyB 5A/MA
9 years ago

I was searching around for a particular paniculata hydrangea to fit a smallish space. 'Tickled Pink' met the criteria (supposedly a smaller version of Quickfire). Despite the mixed reviews, I decided to give it a shot.

Local nurseries don't have hydrangeas out yet, but I am in the midst of planting a new foundation bed NOW, so I scoured online for a dormant one. The only place I could find it was HomeDepot.com. Shocked! I had no idea they sold plants online. It also came with a 90-day return guarantee!! It was a 3-gal plant for $35 and free shipping (with $45 order). That's appropriate price for HD. In a nursery and leafed out, would probably be twice that -- or 3x if in flower. How could I go wrong!!! The description said it would be soil-less and bareroot but it wasn't. All the better.

So it came today. Packed beautifully. Sent UPS 2nd day air from Ohio. Wet newspaper holding the soil in well and secured with tape. not a hair out of place.

I am totally impressed. Now hope it grows! I haven't inspected the root ball yet, but it feels solid and substantial (i.e. probably a little rootbound).

{{gwi:250713}}{{gwi:250714}}

Here is a link that might be useful: HomeDepot.com shrubs and vines

Comments (3)