Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Boxwood green velvet

Posted by teelee 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 8, 08 at 17:39

Last fall I planted a bunch of this cultivar to replace 50 year old juniper bushes. Yesterday I bought 9 more to finish the job. Different nursery,but same cultivar. Here is my observation,and question: The new ones have (some) attractive yellow leaf edge and tips,and appear very healthy and hearty. Is this coloration normal for this cultivar,or could they be mis-labeled by the nursery from which they came? I like the variance,so this is not a complaint,but both are labeled Green Velvet.
Any thoughts?
Many thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Boxwood green velvet

It is most likely to be new growth - if the nursery just got them in, from an area or under conditions that are warmer than your area, then they may be further along in their growth than your older ones. It is POSSIBLE that they are slightly different cultivars - I understand most boxwoods are grown from cuttings, and it may be that the one grower is using cuttings from a mis-labeled "mother plant", but it is much more likely to be the new growth - it is yellower than the old leaves, after all, but will settle down to a "normal" green as it grows.

o

I see this all the time, very common to get new Green Velvet stock with that yellow edging. The Oregon growers (who provide 100"s of thousands of this selection to the retail trade) don't really have an answer why it happens - sun, mineral content of water, nursery gnomes...

It will grow out of that coloration.

brian

o

I planted 8 green velvet boxwoods right next to a new installed sidewalk two years ago. Each year I have lost one, I'm guessing to the cold. I love my boxwoods. I have several green mountain ones that have done just fine, but I like the green velvet ones because they are low growers, which is why I picked them to be next to the sidewalk. I'd hate to abandon my original vision for the front of our house, any suggestions on what I can do to save them, and not have to replace one every year? We live in Southwestern Wisconsin next to La Crosse on the Minnesota border. we had some pretty cold extended periods over the past winter, but not sure if I would have lost one anyway. Help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here