Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Virburnums: Summer Snowflake vs. Blue Muffin

Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 26, 10 at 17:55

Want to plant a grouping of Virburnums but can't decide between Summer Snowflake and Blue Muffin.

Which would you choose and why? Location is part-shade, average soil, prominent location (right smack in front of the front door), looking for something anywhere between 3-5'.

Any other V.'s you would recommend besides these two?

Thanks for the input!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Virburnums: Summer Snowflake vs. Blue Muffin

Summer Snowflake, because it would bloom all summer long, into fall, with a nicely layered branching habit, dark green leaves look like they were stamped. Blue Muffin has long, straight stems (good for making arrows, I suppose), will quickly outgrow 3-5' space, glossy leaves.

o

Blue Muffin will produce no berries without a pollinator. Not worth growing if no pollinator.

o

I answered this on the Perennials forum but for others' information Summer Snowflake is too tall. I have it next to 'Mariesii'. Both are too big for your needs. They are great shrubs if you have the room and will pollinate each other to get berries.
Summer Snowflake (left) and Mariesii (right)
Doublefile viburnums

o

Conoy is small enough to be put in place as you describe. Eskimo is another. I do not understand the suggested Summer Snowflake nor Blue Muffin. Neither would fit your space and neither have the ornamental properties nor smaller size of the two cultivars 'Conoy' or 'Eskimo.'

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here