Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Has anyone tried REDBIRD Indian Hawthorn?

Posted by dave_in_nova VA zone 7a (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 17:59

Has anyone seen or tried this Indian Hawthorn?
I have a hard time believing it might be zone 6 hardy. Most Indian Hawthorn were severely burned here in 7A this winter.

REDBIRD(TM) INDIAN HAWTHORN

Features burgundy-red new growth followed by white flowers that flush pink in spring. This narrow grower matures at 3 to 4 feet tall by 4 to 5 feet wide. It is perfect for a small hedge or as a foundation planting.

Hardiness Zone: Zone 6 - Hardy to 0 to -10(F)
Sun Exposure: Sun

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Has anyone tried REDBIRD Indian Hawthorn?

Guess not.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 12:54

You don't say who you are quoting here. If they are claiming a trademark and they have applied to the USPTO maybe there is more background at the USPTO web site. I do know that when a plant patent is applied for and granted then a full description is put on the site, including a Background of the Invention statement that talks about where the plant came from etc. - if hardiness is part why a plant was selected there might be a relating of what the original variant went through to be noticed as more hardy than others.

This post was edited by bboy on Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 12:56

o

I was quoting from a nursery site. However, this plant seems to be introduced by Garden Debut. Link below.

There's not really much information on there. I do not know where to look up plant patent information.

Usually though if a plant is bred specifically for hardiness, I would expect some information about that. Indian Hawthorns are not reliably hardy in zone 7A, and to see one listed as zone 6 is amazing.

SO.....I would rather hear from someone who has actually grown the plant in their zone 7 garden (especially after THIS winter!) than trust a grower or plant introducer who may have been rushed in getting the plant to market before rigorously trialing it.

For example, look at the many gardenias hitting the market that are listed as zone 6. I don't know of ANY gardenias that will not be damaged in zone 6 without major protection. But they put that on the tag.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Debut - Redbird ('sPg-3-003')

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 10, 14 at 16:20

PPAF = Plant Patent Applied For. So when they get one there will be a patent description on the USPTO web site, with the back story, which if exceptional hardiness really is one of the reasons for naming the thing will have something like "original seedling was planted out in Peoria in March 2001 and survived -10 degrees F. without damage the following winter".

Because the Background of the Invention portions of the descriptions of patented plants do in fact usually have that level of detail.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here