Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Companion to Black Lace Elderberry?

Posted by amateur_expert z6 MD (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 14, 06 at 18:00

I am planting a black lace elderberry to partially hide a huge hideous electrical box in my front yard. It will need some friends to help do the job - anybody have any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Companion to Black Lace Elderberry?

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 14, 06 at 21:58

Something silvery.

o

Sambucus Aurea (Golden Elderberry)

o

I've heard that other elderberrys can be invasive with their suckers... is golden elderberry like this?

o

Sat, Apr 15, 06 at 14:15

I've never seen a shrubby (woody) elder of any species spread below the ground. I may have seen a bit of layering a few times, although I can't say when or where.

o

Madonna variegated golden elderberry would be a good one as well. Its the same species (sambucus nigra) so should help with setting fruit. Black lace might be a little less vigorous than other elders because of the cut leaves. I'd like to try one out, but i don't want to mail order just one plant.

o

No ideas to offer, but wanted to say just make sure you don't plant too close to the box. Maybe check city ordinances about this too.

On my street a neighbour planted a garden to block his view of an electrical box, but when the city came to do maintenance on the box a few years later, they cut down a beautiful globe blue spruce and some spireas (and trampled his perennial bed doing it), because they were within 3' of the box. Apparently it was a city ordinance that none of us knew about.

o

I planted a pink beautybush (Kolkwitzia amabilis) next to mine. I thought the pink flowers of the beautybush would look nice to the dark foliage of the Black Lace.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beautybush

o

Mon, Jun 4, 07 at 0:39

That was nice that they cut down that expensive spruce without even giving your friend a chance to move it first. Can't they send out notices?

o

I was thinking Lavender which is silvery.

Dax

o

I've read before that elderberries often have a somewhat rustic appearance. How "coarse looking" are this elderberry's branches during the winter?

o

I can't address the tall companion question, but I found alchemilla mollis growing up through the branches is lovely. And I imagined a rich pink something, like the flowers of the dark elderberry, might be nice...I'm trying a pink columbine in back, but it is too pale.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here