Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sambucus 'Sutherland Gold' slowly dying

Posted by westy1941 z5 NO IL (cdwestg@att.net) on
Mon, Apr 30, 12 at 18:12

My five year old Sambucus, which got to about 7 feet high and looked gorgeous until last year, is dying I think. If anyone knows what this could be, I'd appreciate help. Last year the leaves on the tips started to droop, then turned brown and the berries turned black. We pruned those branches off and it looked horrible but we thought it was saved. Now it's starting again and of course looks awful because there are even fewer branches. Some people have said it's verticillum wilt, others suggest maybe a borer but I can't find any. My husband said he heard on local radio that there's a ground fungus (verticillum?) - he couldn't remember the name of the disease. I'm in the burbs of Chicago. Anyone know anything about this problem?

Thanks in advance
Westy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sambucus 'Sutherland Gold' slowly dying

It does sound like it could be verticillium, and Sambucus is susceptible. Here's a link from the Missouri Botanical Garden which is closer to you than I am (although oddly they have Sambucus classed as a ground cover!)

Here is a link that might be useful: MIssouri Botanical Garden; Verticillium

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here