Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dave_k_gw

What shrub is this please?

dave_k_gw
11 years ago

Hi,

Would you be so kind as to identify this shrub for me? It's a deciduous hedge which came with my house. It's blooming now, and as always the Red Admiral butterflys are very attracted to the nectar. It forms small oblong red fruits about 1/4" long which darken later. Thanks!

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx211/Board_Poster_bucket/GARDEN/IMG_9283.jpg

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx211/Board_Poster_bucket/GARDEN/IMG_9284.jpg

Comments (16)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

use the HTML code at photobucket.. and on preview.. if you see it.. we will see it.. [NOT the IMG code]

ken

• prairiegirlz5
    11 years ago

Is it a mountain laurel (Kalmia latifolia)?

• dave_k_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Ken, I'll repost that way here:
    {{gwi:250936}}

{{gwi:250937}}

Thanks prairiegirlz5, it's not a Kalmia, it's pretty drab even in flower. The photos are fairly close up, the mature leaves about 1" in length.

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

Cotoneaster sp.? Maybe C franchetii.?

Here is a link that might be useful:

11 years ago

you are welcome.. and only because you said please.. lol ..

take any of the names above to google IMAGES.. once the flowers open more fully.. and let us know the answer

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: e.g. these flowers are very unique ... check the cotoneaster ...

• dave_k_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ken,
    That's about as open as the flowers get. They're about 3/16" in diameter. It's a common foundation shrub here in the Chicago, IL area. Not very decorative. It's tough, shears well and doesn't mind poor soil. Always wondered what it was.

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

All those detail fit Cotoneaster. Did you check on Google images? Compare with C integerrimus. I'm not allowed to link but there is a good picture at xxxxx's garden website. (Goliath's opponent)

I would also recommend you try this question on the Name that Plant Forum.

11 years ago

does it get orange berries in fall.. if so.. its the cotoneaster ...

dull and boring and COMMON as it is ...

i dont know why THE SITE THAT CANT BE NAMED.. is floras only resource.. check out the link ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

ken - the OP said that it gets oblong red fruits 1/4 " long in the original post. That fits Cotoneaster. THAT site is not my only resource, but it has a very good illustration of C integerrimus in flower. Most pics show the berries rather than the flowers.

11 years ago

i know flora.. your brain is your #1 source.. and it always amazes me..

i was just yanking your chain a bit...

sorry if i offended ...

ken

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

Absolutely no offence even remotely detected, Ken.

• dave_k_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well it's certainly European Cotoneaster (Cotoneaster integerrimus). Some of the photos from the site that must not be named (why? will the Dark Lord's minions come for us? :-) were right on. Enjoyed the Goliath's opponent reference too. No sense checking elsewhere, you guys have the answers!

11 years ago

thank God for that remote detector.. see what i mean .. lol ..

why? will the Dark Lord's minions come for us? :-

==>> why yes dobby.. they will.. [some historical spamming issues the GW did not appreciate] ...

so what are you going to do with that ugly plant now??? [if you cant tell i am not impressed with them.. lol] .. but if you like.. all the power to ya ..

ken

• dave_k_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"so what are you going to do with that ugly plant now??? "

It's part of the original landscaping, courtesy of the builder. It matches the neighbor's a few feet away. I'd like to shovel-prune it, but we'd be left with half of a hedge. Maybe I'll just shear the whole thing down to nubs. :-)

• Richarkev
    9 years ago

Could it be Viburnum? The leaves look very similar and the small buds too!

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

No, it's not a Viburnum. Those are not buds but the fully open flowers. It was identified 2 years ago as a Cotoneaster.

This post was edited by floral_uk on Sat, May 17, 14 at 13:19