Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rigelcaj

lily of the valley under lilacs: dare I?

rigelcaj
13 years ago

Last year, I planted a row of common purple lilacs. Since I don't want to weed perpetually under them and hate bare dirt / mulch, I'd like to plant some sort of groundcover under them. I know it has enemies, but I love lily of the valley, and am really tempted to use that - unless it will choke my lilacs. They're common purples, so should stand a fighting chance - or do I just sic the LOTV on the burdocks and leave the lilacs in peace? Or maybe Solomon's seal.

One thing I should add - they're at various stages of growth, from fancy big guys from the local great nursery, to big guys someone let me dig out of his yard, to little teeny guys. Seems like all should be established before the LOTV gets overly aggressive.

Please vote! Thanks!

Chris

Comments (10)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    13 years ago

lilac have leaves to the ground.. i wouldnt waste my time planting under them ...

however.. whatever made its way under them wouldnt bother me.. nor will i think they will bother the lilac

ken

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

Lilacs don't necessarily have leaves to the ground. Many become small trees. I also hate bare earth and mulch even more. Always looks like a freshly dug grave to me. If it was my garden I'd have a full scale mixed border under the lilacs and treat them as just one element in it. If you have the space LOTV is lovely but I'd also have a whole range of suitable robust perennials including spring bulbs. The lilacs will cope.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    13 years ago

The lilacs will cope. I'm less sure of the LOLV. IME, this is not a take no prisoners plant, but definitely a wimp. It may be my soil pH, which is on the high side, but that is what lilacs like.

So long as it isn't a vine that can climb up the lilac and smother it, I wouldn't worry about any of the normal thugs against a reasonably vigorous shrub. I'm just not at all convinced LOLV can do the job you have planned for it.

• rigelcaj
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks guys!
    The local common purples have a definite gap before leaves - maybe just 10-12", but a gap. I'll certainly do spring bulbs - I'm addicted to them - but need something for summer. I'll try the LOTV - I'm just transplanting from another part of the yard, so not a big investment. I'll report back if anyone's interested.

• ditas
    13 years ago

Good Morn'g ~ I solve my *bare earth* ugh w/ ground covers. Lamium offer blossoms all season & Periwinkle altho flashes only in Spring, the beautiful dark green lush carpet makes for a wonderful cool feeling even in the heat of Summer ( just make sure your clippers are always ready for occasional hair cuts) My LOTV require thinning as they love to travel where I don't want them!!!

Have fun & HAPPY SPRING!!!

• ditas
    13 years ago

BTW I have a few Mini-Hostas - very adorable for underplants!!! You'll fall in love with them ... how would that work, Ken?

• rigelcaj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just came across this again and figured I'd report back in case anyone's interested. The LOTV are happy as little clams under the lilacs, which - as predicted - couldn't care less. I've also planted lots of daffodils and orange ditch lilies, which I hate anyplace but along a stone wall or fence along the road. The whole thing looks good and is uncomplicated. Now if the lilacs would just get going and fill in (they're being very good sports and trying), I wouldn't have to mow the gaps between them.

• Elizabeth Clark
    6 years ago

Thanks for asking this. I am in a new house and would like to plant some lilies of the valley along a back tree and shrub patch but I would hate to harm any lilacs that might be growing there. (There are some good candidates for lilacs, but it's too early in the year for me to tell from the buds.)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Elizabeth, if you post close up photos of your shrubs and trees here or on the Name That Plant Forum people will be able to tell you if you have any lilacs. And probably identify a lot if your other stuff too.

• kitasei
    6 years ago

I appreciate the update Rigel, just in time for me to try to replicate myself!