Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
shrubs eaten by deer???

Posted by jessicaheady michigan (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 12, 08 at 18:41

my father has about 10 shrubs by the house and this winter the deer have gone after them like mad..... he is wondering if they will grow back at all. the deer have taken all the foliage off of them leaving just the branches, i believe they are a juniper variety, he has different size, ranging from 2 feet to about 5 feet tall and a foot or more wide.

should we just wait it out to see if they re grow, or should he pull them all up?

thanks
jessica

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: shrubs eaten by deer???

A constant problem here. They will re-grow, but a deer can remove a years growth in a few minutes. and the mutilated plant will take years to become symmetrical again. Re-planting the same plants will only invite them back.
I have had good success with diligence in use of the expensive and obnoxious liquid fence spray, but, if you visited here you might be put off by the green wire cages that surround many of my lower or younger shrubs. Starved deer will eat anything, including plants poisonous to them.

o

well this is the first year that he didn't cover all of them with burlap.... i guess he will cover them this coming winter :)

o

I suspect your Dad has yews--a deer favorite, though very poisonous to cattle. He can cover them with black deer netting that is nearly invisible. Deer won't eat junipers unless they're starving.

o

would they come right up to the house though? these shrubs are right next to the house by the windows, and we have 3 dogs... very bold deer :) do they like yews that much?

o

Yes, to all the above. Especially if the dogs are in the house at night - deer soon learn. A neighbor here had 4 Jack Russells and a hound mix a few years ago (now has 3 JRs) - heard continued barking one day so looked out the window - there was a deer grazing on the lawn, with 4 bouncing JRs and the hound, all going crazy. He would look at them, and then go back to eating, so he was either VERY hungry, or not really scared - or both.

o

Yes, they sure do come right up to the house around my neck of the woods!

I just wanted to add that if you use the black plastic netting, you have to do more than just wrap the shrub, since the deer will definitely eat through the netting and even push it back some. So the thing to do is to make a sort of cage around them with stakes and netting, if possible.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here