Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aronia berry not wanting to bud

Posted by LiveOak1234567890 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 18:46

I have an aronia berry that I started last year. It grew quite well last year and dropped its leaves during the winter. Now that the weather has warmed up again, I'm concerned that the plant hasn't come out of dormancy. It's been in the 70's and 80's here for several weeks. Even my pecan tree is leafing out and it's notorious for being a late starter. Scratching the bark shows there's green underneath. I'm still new to raising aronias so I'm not sure what to expect. Is this normal behavior for them or is there a trick to get them started for the new year?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aronia berry not wanting to bud

It was new last year, so leave it alone for now.

Knowing where you are, what type of aronia it is and how much shade its in would also help.

tj

o

I'm in San Antonio Texas. The aronia is the black variety (Aronia melanocarpa). It gets morning and noon time sun, afternoon shade.

o

Sometimes, for reasons no one knows, a woody plant never breaks dormancy. There's nothing you can do but wait.

o

I have an Aronia melanocarpa that took a long time to break dormancy its first spring, although mine was in a bit more shade. I understand your concern given where you are, but as mentioned, you can only wait. I've heard of a minimal thermoperiod for flowering with Aronia, but I'm not sure about breaking dormancy. Do you see them growing in your area?

tj

Edit: Dang those splitters and lumpers. I forgot they call these Photinia melanocarpa now.

This post was edited by tsugajunkie on Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 16:15

o

i have had transplants of various kinds .. after the first winter ... bud out months late ... who knows why ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here