Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Holes in the hedge leaves eaten by wasps?

Posted by ukrkoz Pacific NW (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 25, 10 at 19:02

hello
we have a hedge in front of our house. it has grown very nicely on us. today, i have noticed a big looking problem with it. some yellowing, of course, which i can fix with some feeding.
[IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/344txqx.jpg[/IMG]

but look at the leaves!!
[IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/344txqx.jpg[/IMG]

and it is like this all through. i was standing there, scratching my head, and noticed a yellow jacket, or a wasp, landing on a leaf, and start biting on it. i might be wrong, but i came under assumption that they simply carved those holes in leaves.
now, we live next to forest and very poorly maintained properties, so ridding of the insects will not work.
any suggestions and recommendations?

PS looks like site editor is blocking parts of image code i am trying to post. just in case, here's urls:

http://tinypic.com/m/9vhb93/1
http://tinypic.com/m/9vhb93/1

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Holes in the hedge leaves eaten by wasps?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o

Possibly a leafcutting bee?

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 26, 10 at 1:36

Probably this.

Here is a link that might be useful: Prunus laurocerasus (Prunus laurocerasus) -- Leaf Spots and Shothole

o

thank you both for response.
both do make sense, and i have noticed that couple miles away, neighbors hedge is the same way exactly.
i am not really sure what to do with this. i'll trim it soon and try covering with some inexpensive mesh. i do not think i might be able to find that antifungal chemical in local stores, but if i shall, i'll spray.
we ALWAYS had ton of those insects aggregating in and around this hedge. i need to check if there's a nest or 2 inside of it, as it's very dense. now i am not sure if it's wasp or wild bee. pretty yellow though. bees seam to be much darker.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 28, 10 at 23:01

Wasps don't cut the leaves, I would not bother with netting even if there were some leafcutter bees at work - see no sign of these in your picture.

What your hedge does appear to need is some nitrogen fertilizer.

o

I agree - this has NOTHING to do with bees or wasps. Shothole is an extremely common bacterial and/or fungal problem(s) with Prunus laurocerasus, especially in the damp climate of parts of the PNW. Treatment is typically two-pronged - cultural (improving air circulation, avoiding overhead watering, sanitation, mulching to smother spores) and chemical.

FWIW, Daconil, a recommended control in the above link, is readily available in area box stores and at some retail garden centers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here