Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
spring pruning

Posted by imabelieverinjc 4 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 19:03

I planted a royal purple smoke bush and another variety of the smoke bush last spring...(cant remember the name but it has larger leaves and no flowers). Just wondering if I should cut them down to 2" now (mid April) or should I leave them go another year? Also, will I get a substantial growth by Aug as I am hosting a wedding and want to be sure they come back!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: spring pruning

i have no clue what you are getting at???

if you cut it before flowering time .. you wont get any flowers ...

and i have no idea why you would be cutting on a rather new transplant ...

so why do you want to cut it???

ken

o
RE: spring pruning

I hope you mean 2 feet and not 2 inches - that's a bit severe even for coppicing a smoke bush!! If you intend to coppice, the best time to do so is when the stems start pushing buds - right about now. And deciding to do so now or wait until next year depends on how big they are......I would be reluctant to prune a large smokebush down to 2'. Better to start while still small and not take it back too much at once.

And yes, they should look fine by August, if not hugely tall :-) btw, coppicing your smoke bushes routinely each year will eliminate the "smoke"/flowers but will enhance the foliage both in color and in size.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here