Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tsugajunkie

Fothergilla and Squirrels

I'm getting to hate squirrels. Really abhor, detest, loathe and hate squirrels. The first pick is how my Fothergilla gardenii looked last year.

{{gwi:251186}}

All indications were for an even larger bumper crop of flowers again this year...and then a tree rat took a fancy to it.

I noticed the vandal as it took off a large branch and scared it off. Knowing it would return, I threw some chicken scratch out in the corner of the yard to occupy the scoundrel and it worked...for a while. I went looking (in vain) for some bird netting and upon my return at least half the plant was now gone. I'm now ticked and went for the pellet gun. Sure enough, it returned, but drat, now there are too many witnesses out and about. Scared it off and tried the netting search again. No netting. I come back and the shrub is a quarter of it's former self and the squirrel left quite pleased with its pruning ability.

It was like watching the picture of Dorian Gray getting more hideous by the moment.

The plant now...

{{gwi:251188}}

I had the plant for 10 years and never a tree rat problem. Rabbit nibble here or there but nothing serious.

Last year it was my 8 year old 'Bloodgood' maple they debarked.

Before that, a dandy conical 'Boulevard' Falsecypress that they suddenly preferred was a pom-pom.

Never ceases to amaze me that vermin can have varied taste buds, not only geographically, but from year to year as well.

Rant is over...but, did I mention I hate squirrels?

tj

Comments (4)