Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fine Line buckthorn in snow?

Posted by lily_g 7b Ga (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 13, 09 at 19:29

Can anyone report on how well the Fine Line buckthorn (Rhamnus frangula "Ron Williams') held up in the big snow we had in the Southeast in March? It sounds perfect for me for a certain spot, but I've been wondering if the heavy snow or ice we get in Georgia every 4 or 5 years will eight down the branches and ruin the shape.
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fine Line buckthorn in snow?

Poorly, a hedge of it in the area was completely trashed by a ice storm a few years ago. And even if it was not, buckthorn, both common and this species (glossy) is an absolutely horrible weed that is destroying natural areas as well as being weedy in towns as well. There are hundreds upon hundreds of this weedy woody plant within a mile of where I am now, coming up agains buildings and in unmowed patches of land. Do not -ever- plant this species. Please.

o

The Kemper Center for Home Gardening at the Missouri Botanical Garden warns that the species is invasive, but recommends the Fine Line cultivar, reporting that the few seeds it produces are non-viable. Fine Line has ferny foliage--I don't know if it's glossy or not. Have you observed that this cultivar is invasive in SD? I surely don't want another invasive around here--we have enough kudzu, privet, and (non-native) honeysuckle already!
The Kemper Center:
http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/PlantFinder/plant.asp?code=C424

o

Hum. To be honest, I saw berries produced and I assumed that the berries contained viable seeds. I can tell you with certainty that both of it's parents are known to be able to escape and most seedlings produced by both them readily revert to the typical from. IF it truly produces all non-viable seeds... then it may not be a problem. However, I know of quite a few examples where supposedly seedless strains/cultivars of certain invasive plants either produce seed with the right pollinator (purple loostrife and Bradford pear) or were MOSTLY seedless but the limited amounts of viable seeds were able to successfully invade and start populations (some grass strain that I can't remember off the top of my head).

So if it truly is seedless, then it may not be an issue. But as you can tell I am skeptical as seedless claims, as many are often not completely accurate. These plants truly are scary around here so my advice would be to avoid it, but IF the claim is completely true it may be a viable option after all... but I would suggest looking for an alternative first anyways. Just my two cents.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here