Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robinheather_gw

hacking back rampant burning bush

robinheather
11 years ago

Hello,

When we moved into this house, we inherited a couple of enormous, scraggly burning bushes along one side of the property. I think they are euonymus alatus but am not certain. I don't love them, and my husband positively HATES them. Since they are off to the side and we have plenty of other projects in mind, taking care of them has not been a priority. However, I can't get them off my mind and wanted to ask this forum what we should do. (Searching previous threads yielded information that seemed conflicting to me.)

Should we...
1)Wait until it is in our budget to have them professionally removed? Lowest branches are almost the size of my arm, I'd say, and the bushes are quite a bit taller than we are, so we don't feel up to removing them completely ourselves.

2)Trim them as best we can so that we can try to grow some shade tolerant native plants around their bases? Right now it's just bare dirt that gets weedy in summer, and I'd like to do something about that.

3)Cut them back as much as possible and see what happens? This is my instinct, but I'm afraid it will make them spring up harder and higher than ever. (This is only my 2nd year as a gardener. Last year I cut back a peegee hydrangea with great success...and I carefully "pruned" some of our foundation bushes with unfortunately humorous results!)

4)Forget about it and concentrate on areas of the yard where we spend more time.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Comments (5)